Remodeling Project - Retreat Conversion

08/05/08

Home
Favorites
Discussion Board
Musings by Bill
Photo Albums
Feedback
Past What's New

 

We converted an unused 5th bedroom in our house to a master bedroom retreat.   Bill and I did all the work ourselves.  We are very happy with the results, and even happier about all the money we saved. 

Click on a picture to see a larger version of it.  You can then navigate back to this page by using the 'Back' button.

4/24/2004

The room emptied and ready to go.

4/24/2004

Inside the room.

4/24/2004

The closet.

4/25/2004

Destruction begins. The new fireplace is brougt in.

4/25/2004

The closet getting ready for its makeover.

4/25/2004

More demolition.

5/1/2004

We tear down one side of the wall to determine how the wiring runs.

5/1/2004

Tearing a hole in the closet ceiling for easier attic access.

5/1/2004

One of the famous ladders.

5/1/2004

Finished for the day. Rerouted the electrical, cable, and phone lines.

5/1/2004

Planning for tomorrow’s work.

5/1/2004

A view of the new wiring.

5/2/2004

Begin to building the fireplace surround.

The Ward-Flex gas line coming in to supply the fireplace.

5/2/2004

Closing up the attic.

5/2/2004

The wiring for the canned lights is installed.

5/2/2004

We tied into the furnace line for the gas supply of the fireplace.

5/2/2004

A view of the fireplace surround.

5/8/2004

We begin to build the niche for the fireplace.

5/8/2004

The niche is framed.

5/8/2004

The fireplace is vented out the side.

5/8/2004

Ready for sheetrock

5/8/2004

Cut it twice and it's still to short!

5/8/2004

We are adding an arch to the top, so the back piece will work fine.

5/8/2004

Finished for the day, and all cleaned up.

5/9/2004

The wall between the rooms comes down. Look out, that's Bill with a Saws All!!

5/9/2004

The arch is in on the fireplace, and the bullnose trim starts going on.

5/9/2004

The old doorway gets framed for sheetrock.

5/9/2004

The first coat of joint compound goes on.

5/9/2004

Done for the weekend.

5/9/2004

Bill is happy with the niche, as am I.

5/9/2004

Now we have a long dark hallway.

5/14/2004

Applied second coat of joint compound

5/14/2004

The inside doorway is closed off, and taped.

5/15/2004

Putting on the last of the joint compound.

5/15/2004

And doing a lot of sanding.

5/15/2004

More joint compound please.

5/23/2004

All done taping, now the texturing starts.

5/23/2004

Wall texture everywhere.

5/29/2004

Finally done sanding, and the painting begins.

5/29/2004

The first coat of Brazilian Ruby goes on the new wall.

5/29/2004

We used some leftover satin finish for the first coat.

5/30/2004

I start on the cabinetry while Bill finsihes the painting.

5/30/2004

The shell for the bottom cabinets.

5/30/2004

The final coat of Brazilian Ruby.

5/31/2004

The rest of the walls get their final coat of paint.

5/31/2004

The finished niche.

5/31/2004

The bottom cabinet gets installed.

6-7-2004

The desk area is added to the cabinetry.

6/7/2004

Another view.

6/12/2004

Starting on the top cabinetry. Good thing Bill doesn't care about getting dust in the house.

6/12/2004

Cutting dados for the angled shelving unit.

6/12/2004

Gluing up the 45 degree angle shelving unit.

6/12/2004

The finsihed carcas for one of the shelving units.

6/13/2004

The other 2 units are done.

6/13/2004

Much to Bill's dismay, I had him apply the stain to the bottom cabinets.

6/13/2004

...And the shelves.

6/20/2004

Dry fitting the upper cabinets to make sure all the trim pieces line up.

6/20/2004

Looks pretty good to me.

6/27/2004

I helped Bill apply the finish to the top cabinetry and shelves.

6/27/2004

...And all the trim pieces.

7/3/2004

The top cabinets get installed.

7/3/2004

The canned lights are wired in.

7/3/2004

The shelves are added.

7/3/2004

A happy coincidence that the router edge flows right into the arch. Almost like it was planned that way.

7/3/2004

The grommets are installed.

7/4/2004

Laying out the cherry flooring.

7/4/2004

The flooring gets installed.

7/4/2004

Finishing up with the hardwood floor.

7/4/2004

The old carpet pad gets resized and reinstalled.

7/4/2004

It almost looks like a room again.

7/4/2004

A view of the flooring.

7/4/2004

And another.

7/5/2004

Bill reinstalling the old carpeting.

7/5/2004

At last, our new chair has a home.

7/5/2004

Looks good to me.

7/5/2004

The cabinets with the lights on.

We took a weekend off to go camping, and got back to work on

7/24/2004

Making drawer boxes to hold CDs and hanging files.

7/24/2004

2 drawers of CDs, videos, and dvds.

7/24/2004

One drawer for files.

7/24/2004

The tile is installed on the fireplace.

7/25/2004

The tile is grouted and cleaned.

7/25/2004

The drawers are installed.

7/25/2004

A closeup of the fireplace tile.

8/14/2004

Bill starts to work his magic, and adds some of the finishing touches.

8/14/2004

He tackles the shelves.

8/14/2004

Meanwhile, I start working on the cabinet doors, and drawer faces.

8/28/2004

The drawer faces and cabinet doors are built and finished.

8/28/2004

And installed.

8/28/2004

And look good.

8/28/2004

The desk is put in order.

8/28/2004

The electronics are hooked up.

8/28/2004

The drawers are ready to be loaded.

8/28/2004

A desk chair is added.

8/28/2004

All the paint is touched up.

8/28/2004

The artwork is hung (until it gets moved)

8/28/2004

And finally, after 4 months, we are calling it done.

Home | Remodeling Project - Retreat Conversion | Niagara Falls | TV Stand | Lassen Volcanic Park Vacation July 2004 | Jay's House Remodeling | Ohio Pictures | Bird Photo Archives

This site was last updated 03/24/05